Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Where Have All The Leaders Gone?

I have two bitches today. 

1. I have Democratic leanings and I reject a government of fear. Someone says that Barack Obama will send black helicopters in to steal all our weapons, people panic and buy more. That Ebola, which has killed one person within the United States, will wipe out our population. That we are going to be overrun by terrorists entering our Southern Border, or that the little children that crossed over during the summer are bringing disease, bugs and are the forerunner of another wave of illegal drugs, etc. (Let's not forget that the 9/11 culprits sneaked over our Northern border.) To be so afraid is a horrible way to live. 

That doesn't mean I don't believe there aren't things to fear. One of them is that I won't have enough money to live on as my working days dwindle into retirement. Another is that this country will wind up in another world war if we don't solve the problems in the Middle East. On the other hand there are people in this country who stand to earn billions on war materials while other Americans die if we go to war. 

Another thing is that when someone says something negative my fellow Democrats crumble like termite ridden wood. Now let me take a moment to give an example of that behavior. Ah, yeah, how about the election that happened yesterday? I'll start with Kentucky and Allison Lundergan Grimes. She was leading in her race against Mitch McConnell. Then someone asked her who she voted for in the last two presidential races. She proudly declared she backed Hilary Clinton, but said it was no one's business who she voted for. Her lead evaporated, and McConnell took off in the polls. 

Then again, Mary Landrieu in Louisiana tried to disengage from Barack Obama in her Senate race. She and Republican Bill Cassidy are stuck in a run off to take place in December. And there are a ton of others who followed the same tactic.

I find that behavior reprehensible. Barack Obama is not the most popular at the moment. Even so, it was under his administration that healthcare was reorganized. The Republicans say this is a bad thing and that they will repeal it at the first opportunity. Those who listen to Fox News are convinced that prices have gone up and that coverage is questionable. Those who have Obamacare, and use it, know what it is to have coverage for possibly the first time in their lives, simply because the price has gone down and the quality has gone up. What do Democratic politicians know about this? That the Republicans have found fault with it so something must be wrong. So they distanced themselves as far as they can away from Obamacare. By doing that, they've also dismissed the hunt for Bin Laden, and the reformation of Detroit, the fact that unemployment has gone down, the stock market has gone up, there has been only one death from Ebola, the rescue of Captain Phillips from Somalian pirates, etc. etc. etc.

Cowards. It shows no back bone at all, which only makes me wonder if there are any real leaders in the Democratic Party. I know there's few in the Republican Party just simply because very few dare register a differing opinion from party platform. Again, no backbone. If they can't think for themselves, then they can't govern either. 

2. I hate high definition TV. Why? Because everything is so close up you can see every little blemish. Last week I watched the season premier of Elementary. I lost track of the story because I was so involved in Lucy Liu's complexion. I've always thought of her as pretty, and then I see all her flaws. It occurred to me how many people have bad complexions. I haven't missed one pimple since. 

No comments:

Post a Comment